Wednesday, October 1, 2008

One Month Old




Anna Claire turned one month old on September 18! She has already grown so much in such a short period of time. We went to the doctor last week and she weighed 8lbs and 4oz. That is huge considering she weighed only 6 lbs and 3oz when we came home from the hospital. I did not ask them how long she was (sure wish I had), but I do know that she cannot wear any of the newborn footsie pajamas that swallowed her when she was born. I cannot lie, things have been a little rough around the Smitherman house lately. When she was three weeks we started noticing that she was crying- A LOT- and there was nothing we could do to help her. I knew in the back of my mind that we were probably dealing with colic, but neither Jeremy or I wanted to admit it. I finally took her to the doctor. I was REALLY hoping it was something simple that could be fixed with medicine or an easy adjustment, but as soon as I described her symptoms Dr. Brooks confirmed our fear. We were really sad at first- mostly for her, and selfishly for our poor eardrums (who knew a little thing could be SO loud), but every day gets a little easier. The most helpful thing is talking to families who have been through it themselves. They always have good advice and have all assured us that this is just a short time in her life and we will get through it. It is encouraging to see their happy babies and know that we will be there soon.
On a happier note, here are some of the fun things Anna Claire is doing these days:
-starting to hold her head up on her own- sometimes she is a little bobble head, but she tries her best
-recognizing objects in front of her and following them with her eyes
-giving us the tiniest sweet smile when we come to get her from her crib in the mornings- it melts my heart!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

she is precious! hope things continue to get better for you ALL!

Tate Family said...

She has already changed so much!! What a precious face. :)

Wesley didn't have colic, but he had times of severe fussiness. We used something called Gripe Water. They sell it @ Babies R Us, Rainbow Grocery, and online. Not sure if it will work, but it might be worth checking into. (???) I'm sure you might be grasping for straws.

And I'm sure you already know about the book, "The Happiest Baby on the Block." I have friends who have sworn by this book.

Hang in there, Sarah. I can't imagine your frustration.

The Cross Family said...

she is so cute. good luck with the colic. as you already know...it won't last forever. let me know if you need anything. we are hear if you ever need to come over and hang out.

Witcher Family said...

So pretty and sweet! I hate you all are going through this and especially for her! They also sell Gripe Water at Walgreens if that helps. I never used it but anything is worth a try as far as I'm concerned! I had to ride home with all the windows down the other day b/c it was the only way Tripp would quit screaming....no one will EVER blame you for any thing that works for you, just remember that and don't beat yourselves up!!!

The Segrest Family said...

she is beautiful!!!! my sister had a colicky baby and gripe water helped her (saw the other comments above) im ALL about some gas drops and tylenol too =)
hope she is feeling better soon!!!
the first 3 months are tough... then it gets easier! i promise!

Jenny said...

wow she has changed so much!!! crew had colic really bad and yes it is hard, but the good news is that it goes away!! we tried everything under the sun--sometimes it worked, sometimes not, but we survived. i hope this time passes quickly for you. she will be a happy baby before too long and this will be a distant memory. i hope i get to see y'all soon!!!! miss you

Jared and Brandy Verwiel said...

she is beautiful! i hope things will get better with her colic. thank goodness she's healthy and gaining weight! :-) so sweet!

Will and Carley said...

Bless her little heart!
Hope she is feeling better real soon!